[pulseaudio-discuss] Pull request: Autospawn fix

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Jan 13 13:07:20 PST 2010

On Wed, 13.01.10 07:35, Tanu Kaskinen (tanuk at iki.fi) wrote:

> 3 seems like the best choice, because option 1 alone makes it hard for
> multiple users to use ssh simultaneously, and I don't see any big
> problems with 3. It may or may not make sense adopt option 1 in addition
> to 3. Are there any actual use cases for trying localhost TCP
> automatically? Maybe on Windows...

Yes, chroot, windows, file system namespacing.

> I'd like to clarify the option 3 description: there should be a default
> port in the sense that a certain port is always tried first if nothing
> else is explicitly configured, but as a fallback the default port should
> really be the first port in a range of default ports.

Inded. Makes sense.

> I also have a (semi) related note: currently connecting to the D-Bus
> server using a non-default address/port requires setting up a separate
> config entry in client.conf or a separate environment variable. This
> should not be needed - the most common case for setting a custom server
> string is to just set the hostname. That is easily converted to a D-Bus
> address (for those who don't know, the conversion is needed, because
> D-Bus uses addresses with format "tcp:host=HOSTNAME,port=PORT").
>
> The problem is with non-default port numbers and non-default socket
> files. I don't think maintaining separate config entries for different
> protocols is sensible, so I'd like to extend the server string syntax.
> When specifying TCP ports and socket files, the protocol type should be
> specified. The syntax should be backwards-compatible - this is achieved
> by assuming that if no protocol is specified, the native protocol is
> meant.
>
> This is an example from the wiki:
>
> {ecstasy}unix:/tmp/pulse-6f7zfg/native tcp6:ecstasy.ring2.lan:4713 tcp:ecstasy.ring2.lan:4713
>
> This is how it might look, if D-Bus settings are added (the actual
> syntax is subject to discussion, I haven't thought hard what kind of
> syntax would be the best):
>

>{ecstasy}unix:[native]/tmp/pulse-6f7zfg/native,[dbus]/tmp/pulse-6f7zfg/dbus
>tcp6:ecstasy.ring2.lan:[native]4713,[dbus]24883
>tcp:ecstasy.ring2.lan:[native]4713,[dbus]24883

Kinda makes sense, though maybe use different prefixes altogether for
that? i.e:

tcp4:, tcp6:, and unix: continue to mean "native protocol over the
resp lower level transport. And then we add dbus-tcp4:, dbus-tcp6:,
dbus-unix: and so on. And a client looking for a server to connect to
then goes through that list and picks the first entry that works for
it that speaks the right protocols.

Using just different prefix seems like a simpler, more compatible
extension to the current syntax.

> Maybe this would make sense for the http protocol too?

Hmm, there is no client for that right now. I wouldn't bother with
that for now.

Does that make sense to you?

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net