[pulseaudio-discuss] Pull request: Autospawn fix

Kevin Fox Kevin.Fox at pnl.gov
Wed Jan 13 16:43:30 PST 2010

On Wed, 2010-01-13 at 15:19 -0800, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> I think it is kinda neat if the kernel picks the port number. Which is
> what I implemented now. People really shouldn't allow access to a PA
> server through the internet, so I don't feel bad making things
> difficult for them ;-)

I think that is a bad argument. Making it harder to make PA work with
your firewall has nothing to do with using PA through the Internet. I
run firewalls on all the machines on my lan. Its safer then not. On the
other hand, I always thought poking whole port ranges through a firewall
was a bad idea too. Having PA poke the hole if a configuration option is
set might be preferable/safer since it knows the correct port to poke.
In the GUI, there already is "Enable network access to local sound
devices", "Allow other machines on the LAN to discover local sound
devices", why not "Poke hole in local firewall"?

Kevin