[pulseaudio-discuss] Stream volumes as the universal volume adjustment method

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Jan 14 14:25:23 PST 2010

On Thu, 07.01.10 18:30, Tanu Kaskinen (tanuk at iki.fi) wrote:

> I have recently formed a belief that in the vast majority of cases where
> the user wants to tweak the volume, the best choice is to tweak the
> stream volume, as opposed to the device volume.

To be a bit more constructive this is what I kinda have in mind
regarding stream and device volumes:

1 in the UI prominently expose the device volume, since I believe this
  is what the user wants to control more often.

2 In the UI less prominently expose the stream volumes. Should be
  available for some cases, like compensating for normalization issues
  and suchlike.

3 As mentioned determine the perceived loudness of content streams
  (i.e. music and movies), and allow configuration of auxiliarly
  stream loudness (i.e. event sounds) relative to it.

4 Put a bigger focus on automatically managed stream
  volumes. i.e. volume-follows-focus (Arun!),
  fade-music-on-voip-signal and suchlike. That means, manage the
  volumes of the streams by looking on the other stream signals and on
  implicit user input instead of depending on explicit user input, if
  you understand what I mean.

So much about my ideas.

1+2 are already done. In g-v-c for example the stream volume is hidden
in the right-most tab while the sink volume is always visible on the
top of the dialog.3+4 are still very much non-existant.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net