[pulseaudio-discuss] Disabling monitor sources in Pulse

Jeremy Visser jeremy at visser.name
Fri Jan 15 02:15:27 PST 2010

On Thu, 2010-01-14 at 14:18 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > No difference. The program still records on the monitor source.  To get
> > it to record off a real source, the actual recording stream for the
> > program had to be manually changed in pavucontrol.
>
> What program is this? Is it possibly overriding PA's device choice?

We're using Skype, although I also encountered this last week when using
Mumble. Mumble users were complaining that my game sounds were coming
through instead of my voice whenever I hit the push-to-talk button. :)

I confirmed today by using pavucontrol that my friend had the Skype
input coming from the Monitor source, and switching it manually to the
microphone worked.

I can only pray that this 'race condition' doesn't occur again, and that
the selection stays that way.

God forbid he ever use Ubuntu's 'Guest session' feature to let a friend
sign in to Skype which will start up a fresh PulseAudio with no
remembered stream settings, and will probably have the guest session's
audio input go awry.

> And that is exactly what happens. Please provide the output of "pacmd
> ls" when PA is in that state youdescribe here where only one mic is
> configured but not selected as default by PA.

This seems to happen fairly regularly, so if I notice again, I'll
definitely do that.

Cheers,
Jeremy.