[pulseaudio-discuss] paplay freezes

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Jan 28 15:56:15 PST 2010

On 28 Jan 2010, Colin Guthrie stated:

> 'Twas brillig, and Colin Guthrie at 23/01/10 13:38 did gyre and gimble:
>> Seems that since using stable-queue my paplay just freezes. It seems to
>> be polling happily but is stuck in the DRAINED state.
>
> For references, this appears to be a client-side bug. Trying to connect
> to a remote PA daemon running 0.9.19 and issuing the same paplay command
> still freezes....
>
> Any idea what change could cause this? If it affects paplay, what other
> clients could it affect?

I've noticed xine freezing since I started running with stable-queue,
but only when using the pulseaudio backend (so it seems to be a pa
client lib bug, not a xine bug). Pausing it freezes it hard:
fast-forwarding leads to no sound: jumping around in the video stream
again leads to a lockup so hard that only kill -9 will vanquish it. I
could try backing down and hunting for a version it doesn't affect...

(But this may well be unrelated: I've found references to xine-lib hangs
with the pulseaudio backend from a year ago, and the hang is hard, while
yours seems to be much softer.)