[pulseaudio-discuss] PA uses the card's output as input instead of microphone

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Mon Jul 5 01:40:06 PDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-06-29 at 19:28 +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> I started tweaking everything at random.  After a while, the mic started
> to work.  In alsamixer, hitting F4 to get to the [Capture] settings,
> there's a setting called "Digital Source".  It was set to "AC97 in".
> The possible settings are:
>
>    SRC out
>    AC97 in
>    i2s in
>    IEC958 in
>    i2s mixer out
>    IEC958 out
>
> I don't have the slightest idea of what that setting is for and what the
> choices mean, but the microphone only works when I set it to "i2s in".
> Every other settings results in the microphone being audible when
> increasing the "Capture feedback" volume no application can actually
> capture any sound from it.

What other inputs does your sound card have? Does it have line-in?
Digital input? If it does have other inputs, could you test whether the
"Digital Source" has to be switched to some other value in order to make
the other inputs work?

If all input modes require "i2s in" to be selected, then this clearly
should be set by alsa, but if the setting has to be changed depending on
the mode, then this needs to be configured in Pulseaudio.

--
Tanu Kaskinen