[pulseaudio-discuss] redirect output to headless machine

Simone Neugierig commercials at gmx.net
Thu Jul 8 05:59:15 PDT 2010

> Hi,
> >
> > i would like to redirect output off all applications to another machine that has no monitor attached.

<snip>

> > any ideas whats wrong?

>You try to make the connection in the wrong direction. Your sound
>hardware on host2 won't be making any connections to your applications -
>it's the other way around.

>So, do this:

>Load module-native-protocol-tcp on host2 like you did on host1
>previously.

>Also load module-zeroconf-publish on host2.

>Then on host1 run paprefs and enable "Make discoverable PulseAudio
>network sound devices available locally".

>Now all hardware on host2 should be visible also on host1.

Ive changed the configs and now there is a network connection from host1 to host2, but if i set sound playback to "pulseaudio sound server" on host1 pulseaudio on host2 exits with:

pulseaudio
I: caps.c: Limited capabilities successfully to CAP_SYS_NICE.
I: caps.c: Dropping root privileges.
I: caps.c: Limited capabilities successfully to CAP_SYS_NICE.
Soft CPU time limit exhausted, terminating.
E: cpulimit.c: Received request to terminate due to CPU overload.
W: module-rescue-streams.c: Failed to move sink input 0 "pulseaudio" to auto_null.

this is maybe because i cant play sound on this machine at all, its a ubuntu server installation.
after boot the following sound modules are loaded.

snd_via82xx            32152  0
gameport               19340  1 snd_via82xx
snd_ac97_codec        112292  1 snd_via82xx
ac97_bus                9856  1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_pcm                82948  2 snd_via82xx,snd_ac97_codec
snd_timer              29704  1 snd_pcm
snd_page_alloc         16904  2 snd_via82xx,snd_pcm
snd_mpu401_uart        15104  1 snd_via82xx
snd_rawmidi            29696  1 snd_mpu401_uart
snd_seq_device         14988  1 snd_rawmidi
pcspkr                 10496  0
serio_raw              13316  0
snd                    62628  7 snd_via82xx,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device
vt8231                 23180  0
soundcore              15200  1 snd

ive checked the files in /etc/pulse against the one on my local ubuntu that has working pulseaudio support. besides the changes that i made to get network support they are identical.
i followed the steps in the pulseaudi wiki, first steps and perfect setup. but nowhere is really mentioned what has to happen so that pulseaudio works with the hardware. how does pulseaudio know about my soundcard?

dont know of this is important
ls -alh /dev/snd
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root     120 2010-07-08 12:39 .
drwxr-xr-x 16 root root    3.4K 2010-07-08 12:40 ..
crw-rw----  1 root audio 116, 5 2010-07-08 12:39 controlC0
crw-rw----  1 root audio 116, 4 2010-07-08 14:51 pcmC0D0c
crw-rw----  1 root audio 116, 3 2010-07-08 14:51 pcmC0D0p
crw-rw----  1 root audio 116, 2 2010-07-08 12:39 timer