[pulseaudio-discuss] redirect output to headless machine

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Fri Jul 9 07:59:24 PDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-07-09 at 15:31 +0200, Simone Neugierig wrote:
> what is a bit akward is that the two machines exchange ~350kbps on port 4713 even if no sound is playing.

I didn't check this, but I guess the tunnel sink doesn't shut down the
stream when it's not in use, so it transmits silence. There's probably
no reason to do that, so filing a ticket for the bug would be a good
idea (if no such ticket exists yet).

> even if its not working perfectly, i would like to ask how the mic input can be redirected as well.
> with the current configuration
> (host1 = system that i work on)
> (host2 = headless system that does the output and (future) input)

What do you mean by "future"? If the mic isn't there yet, you of course
can't record from it...

> i can select pulseaudio server as mic input in the ubuntu sound dialog on host1, but so far nothing gets recorded when i speak?
> is mic input handled automatically via the working network connection or are there any other settings?

All devices on host2 should be visible on host1, including microphones.
You can check whether the mic is actually available on host1 by running
pavucontrol and opening the Input Devices tab.

If the mic is there, but your record application still doesn't seem to
get any data from there, open the Record tab in pavucontrol while
recording, and right click the record stream that should be visible
there. The context menu allows you to move the stream to the correct
source. That hopefully solves your problem.

--
Tanu Kaskinen