[pulseaudio-discuss] {PATCH][RFC] AC3 passthrough support

Michael Rans mcarans at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jul 10 08:40:52 PDT 2010

My default.pa line has rate set at 48000 which I guess would take precedence:
load-module module-alsa-sink device=Filter_RateConvert rate=48000
sink_properties=device.description=SPDIF sink_name=SPDIF)

But just in case, I tried changing default-sample-rate = 48000 in daemon.conf.

The error I got was:

D: alsa-sink.c: snd_pcm_mmap_commit: Resource temporarily unavailable
E: alsa-sink.c: Assertion 'err != -11' failed at modules/alsa/alsa-sink.c:395,
function try_recover(). Aborting.

BTW, I got the setup using a rate converter from here:
http://www.johannes-bauer.com/linux/dolby/?menuid=3 where this chap says "# Rate
Converter to 48kHz, needed for some applications" in his advanced set up. He
didn't mention Pulseaudio, but it seems to do the trick.

Regarding AC3 encoding in Pulseaudio - it would be better because at the moment
switching between stereo and A52 is not possible (ie. I cannot have both these
lines in default.pa:
load-module module-alsa-sink device=Filter_RateConvert rate=48000
sink_properties=device.description=AC3 sink_name=AC3
load-module module-alsa-sink device=ALC889A_Digital
sink_properties=device.description=SPDIF sink_name=SPDIF

Presumably the SPDIF out is locked by one of them, then the other fails. With
ac3 encoding in Pulseaudio, this would be switchable without editing any files.

Cheers,
Mike