[pulseaudio-discuss] Changing default soundcard on attach/detach of soundcards

Jan Braun janbraun at gmx.de
Wed Jul 14 22:46:20 PDT 2010

Colin Guthrie schrob:
> e.g. when a new BT Headset is discovered, module-intended-roles would
> basically check to see whether the device is already in the "voip"
> priority list and if not, it would inject it at the top, rather than the
> bottom of the list (there could be various caveats included in this logic).

That means the new BT headset gets priority over the old Headset. I
wouldn't want that. In fact, my voip priority list would look like this:

Old Headset
<use default/non-voip priority list>

and the new BT headset should add itself to the bottom, just before <use
default priority list>.
Not sure if that's an important scenario, but I thought I'd throw out
the notion of "incomplete" priority lists.

> Otherwise it would do nothing and the default behaviour would ultimately
> be triggered and put new devices at the end of any priority lists.

Obviously, in my scenario, the default behaviour would be to put new
devices at the end of the default priority list only.

> 'Twas brillig, and Jason Taylor at 16/06/10 00:58 did gyre and gimble:
> > I want to be able to tell my sister that all she has to do to use her
> > headset is "plug it in".

If she has just bought that headset, that's impossible. At least not
without getting MY sister in trouble because she plugged her new headset
in and her speakers stopped working.
There's no default for that sitation that satisfies everyone, hence the
default should be the least surprising action. Which IMHO is "as you were"
and requiring manual intervention to play music on the new device.

On the other hand, after having configured PA *once* to play your sister's
music on the headphones, PA certainly should remember that. (AFAICT, it
currently does, and nobody wants to change that.)

regards,
    Jan