[pulseaudio-discuss] Cannot have iec958:0 and a52:0 simultaneously?

Michał Sawicz michal at sawicz.net
Thu Jul 15 02:45:09 PDT 2010

Dnia 2010-07-15, czw o godzinie 12:27 +0300, Tanu Kaskinen pisze:
> I'm not sure what you mean by "Sound Preferences", but it's probably
> gnome-volume-control, and AFAIK you should be able to switch the card
> profile with that. I don't know how, though. Debian doesn't enable
> pulseaudio by default, which is probably why my version of
> gnome-volume-control doesn't contain any pulseaudio stuff. In
> pavucontrol the card profile can be changed from the Configuration
> tab.

There's a 'Hardware' tab in g-v-c where you can select a profile for
each available card (be it a sound card, a headset, usb speakers or a
webcam).

One thing to add to Tanu's description - remember that you can only have
_one_ profile active at a time. You can't have both a52:0 and iec958:0
active at the same time, 'cause they use the same output on card 0. But
you can have both the profiles available in Pulseaudio, 'cause only one
is active at any given time.

Sorry if I've written something obvious here, but it seemed to me that
some things need to be clarified.

Cheers
--
Michał (Saviq) Sawicz <michal at sawicz.net>