[pulseaudio-discuss] building PulseAudio from git master

Sean McNamara smcnam at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 16:27:07 PDT 2010

Hi Colin,

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 6:57 PM, Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Maarten Bosmans at 15/07/10 23:40 did gyre and gimble:
>> I'm trying to build PulseAudio from the git master branch. After
>> running autogen.sh, the configure script outputs the version as:
>> pulseaudio 0.9.19-519-gf26c8.
>> Shouldn't this be 0.9.21-*?
>
> Yeah we should probably bump it right up to 0.9.22 really... I'll do
> that tomorrow.

Does this mean that PA 0.9.22 is due to be released soon? Work has
continued on PA in git master for a long time since 0.9.21 has been
released, and a lot of user-facing bugs have been fixed. I noticed
that Ubuntu (and presumably other distros) are therefore maintaining
package versions based on git, which seems to suggest the project may
be moving toward the ffmpeg "versioning" scheme (i.e., don't release
stable versions, or if you do, only release them for major milestones
in the project). Not to say that ffmpeg's stable version policy is
bad, just that it's a departure from the way PA had been doing things
up until November of last year. It has been quite a few months since
PA has rolled an official tarballed release, and some distros have
policies that discourage or prevent using arbitrary pulls from version
control if the project is known to make stable releases.

Is the ffmpeg "just use git" method the way ahead for PA, or is this
just an unusually long release cycle? Either way, I think some
communication from you and/or Lennart on this would be great, so that
downstream users know what they should use if they want a "stable"
version of PA with a good set of bugfixes and a minimum of
experimental features. I just think it's not very sane to recommend to
use the 0.9.21 tarball at this late stage, because so many useful
changes have been committed to git since November of last year.

Thanks,

Sean