[pulseaudio-discuss] building PulseAudio from git master

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Jul 16 00:48:29 PDT 2010

'Twas brillig, and Sean McNamara at 16/07/10 00:27 did gyre and gimble:
> Hi Colin,
>
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 6:57 PM, Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
>> 'Twas brillig, and Maarten Bosmans at 15/07/10 23:40 did gyre and gimble:
>>> I'm trying to build PulseAudio from the git master branch. After
>>> running autogen.sh, the configure script outputs the version as:
>>> pulseaudio 0.9.19-519-gf26c8.
>>> Shouldn't this be 0.9.21-*?
>>
>> Yeah we should probably bump it right up to 0.9.22 really... I'll do
>> that tomorrow.
>
> Does this mean that PA 0.9.22 is due to be released soon? Work has
> continued on PA in git master for a long time since 0.9.21 has been
> released, and a lot of user-facing bugs have been fixed. I noticed
> that Ubuntu (and presumably other distros) are therefore maintaining
> package versions based on git, which seems to suggest the project may
> be moving toward the ffmpeg "versioning" scheme (i.e., don't release
> stable versions, or if you do, only release them for major milestones
> in the project). Not to say that ffmpeg's stable version policy is
> bad, just that it's a departure from the way PA had been doing things
> up until November of last year. It has been quite a few months since
> PA has rolled an official tarballed release, and some distros have
> policies that discourage or prevent using arbitrary pulls from version
> control if the project is known to make stable releases.

Nothing planned no. Lennart will still be working on systemd for another
month or two and only after he gets back to working on PA full time will
there be any kind of schedule really planned.

> Is the ffmpeg "just use git" method the way ahead for PA,

This has been the case for while concerning the stable-queue branch in
git. All the distros ship from this branch as it contains the important
fixes that are not rolled into a release.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]