[pulseaudio-discuss] Assert error in pulsecore/resampler.c:trivial_resample

Maarten Bosmans mkbosmans at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 14:22:06 PDT 2010

Hi,

PulseAudio from git master crashes when I play a sound to a combined
sink of two 96000 Hz sinks. It does not happen if the slave sinks are
set to 48kHz. Playing directly two one of the slaves also works.

My default.pa basically looks like:
load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:CA0106,0 sink_name=sink0
channels=2 format=s16 rate=96000
load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:CA0106,1 sink_name=sink1
channels=2 format=s16 rate=96000
load-module module-combine sink_name=combined slaves=sink0,sink1

When I play an audio file to the combined sink, the sound can briefly
be heard and then PA crashes with the following message:
Assertion 'o_index * fz < pa_memblock_get_length(output->memblock)'
failed at pulsecore/resampler.c:1394, function trivial_resample().
Aborting.

The complete log output is attached.

I tried to debug it myself. It seems that every time the crash happens
o_index * fz is exactly equal to
pa_memblock_get_length(output->memblock).
But as the whole function is practically undocumented, I can't figure
whether it is correct to change the assert to use <=, or there
something else wrong.

Maarten