[pulseaudio-discuss] porting pulse audio to Android

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Jul 22 04:33:01 PDT 2010

'Twas brillig, and priyanka sharma at 22/07/10 12:18 did gyre and gimble:
> I need some help in understanding the amount of effort required to port
> Pulse Audio to Android. Any help in this regard would be of great use to us.

As far as the compilation etc. it shouldn't be too hard, but from what I
understand the current reason PA is not on Android is purely from a
licensing perspective. I believe the only GPL'ish code that is permitted
as part of the official android stack is the kernel itself.

I believe even libasound is tricky (I think the original rationale was
to avoid confusion for 3rd party developers as to what code they had to
release into the open and what bits they can keep private - the clear
line of kernel patches need to be open, userspace does not).

But I presume license issues are not a concern for you in this context.

I guess then the problems would be with how android apps interact with
audio? I'm not sure how they actually do their output or input? I
believe there is a separate lib on andoird for this (I don't know the
details but others on this list do so can maybe advise better) but
perhaps it can be adapted to work with PA rather than plain alsa?

Hopefully someone can chip in with more details of how hard the porting
would be from a wider picture perspective.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]