[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulseaudio and Java

Jens Peters jp7677 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 01:41:24 PDT 2010

Brandon Kuczenski wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using pulseaudio in per-user mode (as directed).  From firefox I
> visited a webpage with an embedded java applet (Text Twist from
> notoriously unfriendly yahoo!) and found that java has seized control of
> /dev/dsp.  pulseaudio applications which typically work quite well are now
> unhappy.
>
> Is there a workaround to this ?  I would rather have silent java apps than
> have java kill sound for other programs.
>
> Thanks,
> Brandon

OpenJDK has native pulse support which works with the Sun JDK as well. Make
sure that you have the following files inside your JDK:

jdk/jre/lib/amd64/libpulse-java.so (in case you arch is amd64) and
jdk/jre/lib/ext/pulse-java.jar

If you use the Sun JDK you can extract these file from e.g. the OpenJDK deb
from your distro and just copy them to above destinations.

Furthermore you need to set pulse as default sound device:
jdk/jre/lib/amd64/sound.properties should contain:

# OpenJDK on Ubuntu is configured to use PulseAudio by default
javax.sound.sampled.Clip=org.classpath.icedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioMixerProvider
javax.sound.sampled.Port=org.classpath.icedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioMixerProvider
javax.sound.sampled.SourceDataLine=org.classpath.icedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioMixerProvider
javax.sound.sampled.TargetDataLine=org.classpath.icedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioMixerProvider

One more step to a perfectly integrated pulse system :)

Regards,
Jens