[pulseaudio-discuss] recommended PA config for an "embedded" box

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Fri Jun 4 17:24:09 PDT 2010

Maarten Bosmans wrote:
> 2010/6/3 Manuel Klemenz <m.klemenz at gmx.at>:
>> Hi guys...
>>
>> I'm running a small Linux box/server in my home network where also my speaker
>> are attached. this box is running 24/7 (at least almost) and only accessible
>> over network - so no mouse, keyboard or video output is attached thereto.
>
> I've got something similar here, but mostly using the sound server for
> recording/streaming purposes with a USB soundcard.
>
>> A year ago I set up the box to run pulseaudio as system wide deamon in order
>> to route my laptop's sound output there when I'm at home (utilizing gentoo's
>> init-scripts). As I've read in PA's wiki, this setup is strongly discouraged
>> and PA shouldn't be run in this way. Additionally those scripts are no longer
>> installed after updating/upgrading PA to 0.9.21
>
> In Ubuntu the init script is still available. (disabled by default, of course)
>
>> so here's my question: how do I avoid this config - or in other words, what's
>> the recommended way for such a setup?
>
> I would say that this is one of the few (perhaps the only?) cases in
> which system wide PulseAudio makes sense. It is discouraged mainly for
> desktops setups. You can search the mailing list archives for a
> rationale.

It's certainly not the only case.  To me, it's a naturally desirable
feature.

I'd just like to take this opportunity to urge the developers to
maintain the "system wide" configuration option.. I understand the
motivation for advising against the sound server setup for most users,
but I strongly hope that this usage does not become deprecated.

I hope the *capacity* to do this is maintained in the future, even if
(for whatever reason) the docs remain prejudiced against it.  I'd hate
to see it go away by fiat.  Without it, pulseaudio only reaches half its
potential :)

-Brandon