[pulseaudio-discuss] Device GUID like identifier

Brendon Costa brendon.j.costa at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 22:06:04 PDT 2010

Hi all,

I am integrating Pulse Audio into a cross platform VoIP API at work.
We currently allow a user of our API to use a "GUID" that is simply a
unique identifier for a audio device to identify a device. Thus they
can save this to a preferences file for example and on next load of
the app still be using the same audio device they were using if it is
available.

Is there any such source/sink identifier (or combination of
identifiers) I can use for and be sure it will uniquely identify a
device across system restarts?

Is the source/sink name guaranteed to behave this way?

Thanks,
Brendon.