[pulseaudio-discuss] Changing default soundcard on attach/detach of soundcards

Jason Taylor killerkiwi2005 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 13 14:59:03 PDT 2010

> Here is my proposal:
> http://colin.guthr.ie/2010/02/this-is-the-route-to-hell/

In my humble opinion....

Device by media.role is not that great.. it stand up for events, but
it should really be be per client (application)

The major use cases i have right now that suck... and are not solvable
without prior knowledge of how pa works
 1 - If I plug in my USB or Bluetooth headset the music does not
change to headset like my analogue headset does...
 2 - If I plug in a USB or Bluetooth microphone apps like *skype* can
not be set to use that mic without restarting skype?
 3 - There no way to easily set the media role or an app that dosn't
have one (yes the all should have a role but they don't), pa could be
doing better here using desktop files and the role should be saved..
 4 - Videos do not cork music

By default I think pa should:
 - Move all inputs and outputs to any newly connected local device (ie
usb, bluetooth whatever) that appears after pa has started (unless the
per client device has been set of course)
 - There should be a simple UI for setting a clients default media
role (if one has not been set), and this role should be remembered by
pa
 - Streams should inherit media role from the client if they don't
have one set... ie firefox is set to video, so all its streams have a
media role of video
 - A module to cork music when video is playing

Those 4 things would solve every problem I can think of and make pa
function as I think 90% desktop users expect

Cheers

--
"Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely
pointless. " - Calven