[pulseaudio-discuss] Changing default soundcard on attach/detach of soundcards

Ng Oon-Ee ngoonee at gmail.com
Sun Jun 13 17:10:36 PDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 7:59 AM, Jason Taylor <killerkiwi2005 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> No big issue with the rest of your proposals (besides the usual "who's
>> doing the work?" =p).
>
> If it would be accepted I would attempt to brush off my rusty c skills..
> I'm just not sure how welcome this work would be in pa...

I think its just like other open-source projects, ie. "patches
welcome". Lennart is quite harsh on the quality of said patches, but
once you've met that you're good to go I'd think. Your proposals cover
a whole lot of ground though, and would probably take quite a bit of
hacking.

>> However this one isn't a good idea, your web
>> browser plays tons of different things, alert sounds from web-apps,
>> videos (youtube and friends), audio from sites like pandora, game-sounds
>> from the various flash time-wasters. If this was classified as video, my
>> web-app giving me a new IM notification would cork my audio stream
>> (assuming your other proposals make it in)...
>
> The "browser" classification as video was just a suggestion for such a
> generic player, nothing else really fits IIMHO.., if the stream was
> tagged with correct media.role, then pa would use that, the "video"
> would be a fall back position. If you kept your browser with no media
> role then nothing would happen as now.. which sucks when viewing a
> youtube video and having to open the music player and stop it so you
> can hear the video..
>
> html5 tags like video/audio would really help here but thats probably
> 3 to 5 years away of having any significant role..

Well, for me its an 'unsolvable' problem which should probably be best
left alone. Flash on linux is problematic anyway, such that it may
make more sense just to download the video and watch it outside the
browser.