[pulseaudio-discuss] mpd not listed anywhere

Matt Zagrabelny mzagrabe at d.umn.edu
Tue Jun 15 11:25:37 PDT 2010

Greetings,

I have recently started using mpd, and I do not "see" it anywhere in my
pulse clients or applications.

$ dpkg -l mpd pulseaudio
ii  mpd              0.15.10-1        Music Player Daemon
ii  pulseaudio       0.9.21-1.2+b1    PulseAudio sound server

Config file snippet (mpd.conf):
audio_output {
        type            "pulse"
        name            "My Pulse Output"
#       server          "remote_server"         # optional
#       sink            "remote_server_sink"    # optional
}

Music is playing. (trust me ;)

$ pulseaudio --check && echo "pulse is running"
pulse is running

gnome-sound-applet -> right-click -> Sound Preferences -> Applications:

No application is currently playing or recording audio.

$ pactl list | grep mpd || echo "Nothing"
Nothing

When I try to:
$ paplay some.wav

The volume of mpd is diminished, but not silenced and the wav file does
not play. I hit ^C to get the terminal back. FWIW, paplay shows in the
"Applications" section listed above when I run the command.

Any ideas what I have misconfigured here?

Thanks for the help. Cheers,

--
Matt Zagrabelny - mzagrabe at d.umn.edu - (218) 726 8844
University of Minnesota Duluth

He is not a fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot
lose.
-Jim Elliot