[pulseaudio-discuss] synchronous over IP network

Michael Dressel michael.dressel at desy.de
Mon Jun 21 08:43:55 PDT 2010

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010, Colin Guthrie wrote:

> 'Twas brillig, and Michael Dressel at 21/06/10 13:16 did gyre and gimble:
>> Hi,
>>
>> what my question from my previous lengthly e-mail basically boils down
>> to is: Does pulseaudio provide a mechanism to synchronize audio played
>> on different computers?
>
> Module combine should be able to resample to deal with varying clocks,
> but I'm not sure how well that will work with tunnels etc. It'll likely
> not be perfect, but should be OK.

Thanks for your quick reply.
I wasn't able to create an acceptable result using combine. But this may very
well be due to none optimal configurations.

Is it possible that the choppy sound I still get is due to mismatch between
the rate and number of channels on the net to the rate and channels used
by pulseaudio or alsa?

Anyway is it fair to say that pulseaudio is not designed to provide
synchronous audio distributed over networks?

Best regards,
Michael