[pulseaudio-discuss] Proper PulseAudio installation for KUbuntu 10.4 ; jor PA

Luke Yelavich themuso at ubuntu.com
Thu Jun 24 15:49:31 PDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 05:44:56PM EST, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> I believe the necessary support in Phonon and KMix is not included in
> the KUbuntu distribution (although, as above, I'm not familiar with it
> so cannot comment fully), but suffice to say, the GUIs and interfaces
> you should expect to see and user are outlined here:

Kubuntu 10.04 does not have the necessary pieces to officially support PulseAudio, therefore Kubuntu 10.04 only uses ALSA. Kubuntu 10.10 and beyond will support PulseAudio, and even now in the 10.10 Maverick development cycle, PulseAudio is enabled. I haven't tested it myself however.

The Kubuntu folks do backport newer KDE releases to earlier Ubuntu releases, however I am not sure whether they will go so far as to enable PulseAudio support for these backport releases.

Luke