[pulseaudio-discuss] PA uses the card's output as input instead of microphone

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Jun 25 02:09:32 PDT 2010

'Twas brillig, and Nikos Chantziaras at 24/06/10 16:17 did gyre and gimble:
> Weird issue.  PA refuses to use my microphone as input source.  Instead,
> is uses whatever is currently playing.  For example, if I play an MP3 or
> watch a movie, the sound of the MP3 or the movie is used as input.
>
> In "PulseAudio Volume Control" (pavucontrol), in the "Input Devices"
> tab, "Analog Microphone / Microphone / Microphone" is selected.  But it
> doesn't matter anyway; whatever I select there, the input monitor shows
> activity only when playing something.

As the hover over suggests, the "Input Devices" tab only lets you select
a "fallback" device. Ticking the box doesn't actually change things.

You need to go to the "Recording" tab where you will see the application
currently recording. Next to it you should see a little button that lets
you change the device that is in use for that specific application.

Changing this will move your stream and remember it for later.

Also, what do you mean the "input monitor"? A monitor source, by it's
very definition, is only going to monitor a sink. If in doubt paste a
link to a screen shot or two and I'll try and explain better.

I don't think this is a bug, it's just a conceptual misunderstanding.

Cheers

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]