[pulseaudio-discuss] PA uses the card's output as input instead of microphone

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Mon Jun 28 14:02:44 PDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-06-25 at 12:42 +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> I've tried many combinations, but nothing works.  Here's what "Input
> Devices" shows:
>
>    http://i46.tinypic.com/10ymnww.jpg
>
> The activity shown in the bottom bar is from an MP3 currently playing in
> Amarok.  The microphone or line-in doesn't generate any kind of activity.
>
> Here's the "Recording" tab:
>
>    http://i46.tinypic.com/9h8j11.jpg
>
> Here too, the activity is generated by Amarok.  When selecting the other
> choice in the shown pop-up menu, there's no activity shown, neither from
> an MP3 nor from the microphone.

Then the problem is that Pulseaudio isn't getting anything from the
sound card's microphone input. The sound card seems to have multiple
ports. What if you try to select some other port on the Input Devices
tab?

If changing the port doesn't help, then the next thing to try is to
desperately flip random mixer switches using "alsamixer -c0". If that
helps, please report back what elements needed changing (with luck we
might be able to incorporate that information into the default
configuration so that in the future your sound card would be supported
better out-of-the-box).

--
Tanu Kaskinen