[pulseaudio-discuss] Volume jumps to 100% on KDE startup in KDE 4.4.0-4.4.1

Dwight Paige dwight.paige at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 17:34:07 PST 2010

Don't know if this is best place to post about this...

Also let me admit that I clearly don't know or understand enough about
sound issues in Linux. This post is to try to better pin down [with me
learning in the process]:

1. What is the cause of the problem?

2. What approach to take to correct it?

In KDE 4.4.0 [Mandriva 2010.0 x86_64] and KDE 4.4.1 [Fedora 12 x86_64].
When I log out and log back in or reboot when KDE starts sound volume
levels jump to painfully loud 100% in KMix and pavucontrol. Why is this?
Is this a KDE, pulseaudio, or alsa issue? As per example I believe that
openSuSE 11.2 does not use pulseaudio by default for KDE apps [it does
for Gnome]. I can confirm that this sound jumping to 100% on boot/login
does not happen in My openSuSE/KDE 4.4.1 partition. I checked and so far
pulseaudio is not even installed in my openSuSE/KDE 4.4.1.

Work around is to disable or remove pulseaudio:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=237705&page=2

That doesn't necessarily mean that pulseaudio is at fault or does it?
Could this be a driver issue?

Some info [using 'alsa-info.sh --no-upload' in Fedora 12 as example]:

http://pastebin.ca/1836135

What steps could I take or information could I provide to get to the
bottom of this issue?

--
Thanks,
Dwight Paige