[pulseaudio-discuss] permanent microphone boost

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon May 3 04:00:00 PDT 2010

'Twas brillig, and Piscium at 03/05/10 11:42 did gyre and gimble:
> Hi everybody,
>
> My microphone needs a 20 db boost in order to work properly. This is
> true booting both on Windows and Linux.
>
> I am currently using Fedora 12. I could not find any way to give it a
> boost with PulseAudio, so I downloaded the package gnome-alsamixer
> from atrpms.
>
> With this mixer I can select the 20 db boost and the microphone works
> fine - for a while. Some time later, next day or whatever, the tick
> box becomes unselected, I have not been able to figure out why this
> happens.
>
> So my question is if there is any way I can set a permanent 20 db
> boost for the microphone on PulseAudio.

PA is able to incorporate the boost into the general mixer pipeline
giving you just a simple volume control overall. Please provide the
output of "pacmd ls" and "amixer -c0" so I can help debug what is going on.

Ultimately, I suspect it's just a matter of picking the right "port" for
your input via pavucontrol or gnome-volume-control.

Cheers

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]