[pulseaudio-discuss] permanent microphone boost

Piscium groknok at yahoo.ie
Mon May 3 07:22:54 PDT 2010

Hi Colin,

Ref. mail client: This is a Yahoo account and I am using Firefox (not really a client like Thunderbird). I will think about these 72 chars later if it becomes a problem.

Ref. Alsa mixer: The gnome version I normally use is not reliable. I have seen it hang a few times. I also tried another Alsa mixer with a (ugly) curses interface. I did not see that one crash, however it did not solve the problem with the mic boost setting that does not persist.

Also the microphone keeps getting mooted by somebody after a while. I don't know if this is normal.

I followed your seven step instructions. The output is attached (compressed). I noticed that at the beginning it lists the compile flags. My PC is old, so to improve audio performance I built pulseaudio from the Fedora RPM source package with optimized compile options (sse3, etc). This made a big improvement in audio performance. However my compiler options are unrelated to the microphone issue, as I had the issue even with the Fedora built package.

I created a pulse-rt group and for a while I using pulseaudio in real time mode (before I compiled the package myself), but found out that while real time improved audio performance, it decreased video's (in particular Flash), so I stopped using it.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this!

P.