[pulseaudio-discuss] Disable channel remixing

Pepijn Schmitz pulseaudio at chaos.demon.nl
Tue May 4 15:12:20 PDT 2010

Hi everyone,

I've searched for this information online but I can't find it so I
thought I would ask here.

I have a 5.1 channel analogue sound card (actually the on-board audio of
an MSI motherboard), with a 5.1 speaker system attached to it. I've
noticed that whenever a program plays stereo sound (for instance when
playing MP3's with Rhythmbox), the audio gets distributed over all the
channels, instead of being sent only to the left and right speakers.

Is there any way I can change this behaviour? I want stereo audio to be
played over the left and right speakers only (possibly the center
speaker too), and only 5.1 audio to use the rear speakers and the LFE
channel. Can I set this up?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help me!

Kind regards,
Pepijn Schmitz

lspci:
00:10.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio
(rev a2)

/proc/asound/cards:
0 [NVidia         ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
                      HDA NVidia at 0xf5ff8000 irq 22