[pulseaudio-discuss] permanent microphone boost

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri May 7 16:28:41 PDT 2010

On Thu, 06.05.10 09:24, Colin Guthrie (gmane at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:

> 'Twas brillig, and Piscium at 05/05/10 19:00 did gyre and gimble:
> > I am completely ignorant about audio stacks, so I don't know if mic
> > boost belongs in Alsa or PA. However as far as I know the only audio
> > GUI that comes in the default installation for some distros is
> > PulseAudio's. So from a usability point of view it would be nice to
> > have a tick box for mic boost there. Such a tick box is for example
> > available in Windows.
> >
> > So I am happy that I found how to solve my problem with the help of
> > the forum, but other people are probably not so lucky!
>
> Well the solution you're using is not really a good one. It will not
> work when a mixer probably controls that element, which AFAICT is what
> should happen.
>
> Perhaps it's just not handled properly (despite the fact that on the
> surface the code looks like it should work).
>
> I'll ask Lennart to comment to hopefully get to the bottom of the real
> problem.

If the 20dB are needed for this specific mike, and not for all mikes on
the soundcard then this looks like something we probably should cover in
the mixer logic in PA. (if it is needed for all mikes, then the alsa
init db should be fixed instead)

Please attach the excerpt of "amixer -c0" about the one switch that made
things work for you and we can add it to the PA mixer database.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net