[pulseaudio-discuss] Problems with mplayer in Ubuntu 10.04

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue May 11 04:02:09 PDT 2010

Hi Daniel,

'Twas brillig, and Daniel Chen at 10/05/10 21:20 did gyre and gimble:
> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 12:06 PM, Mihai Sucan <mihai.sucan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Tested with a Guest session (temporarily created user account, always
>> fresh/clean). The same happens. I simply start mplayer and pulseaudio stops
>> outputting any sound.
>
> According to http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2010-May/079934.html
> this symptom is caused by the outdated version of openal-soft shipped
> in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. The remarks in that thread are unfortunately
> ignorant of the fact that the tag date for 1.12.854 was Tue, 30 Mar
> 2010 05:05:21 +0000 (22:05 -0700), which was much too close to Lucid's
> release date. Also importantly, unless there is a significantly
> compelling reason, the Lucid development cycle synced directly
> (without any Ubuntu changes) from Debian testing. Please note that of
> this writing, the version of openal-soft in Debian testing *and*
> unstable remains the precise version that shipped in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS:

Just out of curiosity, did he refer the 1.12.854 version? Am I right in
saying that the version which is hideously broken is the 1.11.753?

If so, it doesn't seem to mention this fact in the 1.12.854 release
notes which I find confusing.

I'm not that familiar with openal-soft so can't really comment, but I
want to make sure we avoid any similar problems (considering there are
enough other problems right now...)

Col

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]