[pulseaudio-discuss] 0.9.22 on Ubuntu Lucid gobbling up CPU

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri May 14 03:57:54 PDT 2010

Daniel Chen <seven.steps <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Are you actually using rtp actively? If not, disable it.

Well, after things have settled down (see below) it's only using about 10% of
the
CPU, about 5% each for making audio devices available to the network and for
using audio devices from the network.  I do like being able to push audio from
the machine I mainly work at to other machines around the network where I might
go to temporarily.

> You *really* want to use either
> linux-backports-modules-alsa-lucid-generic

This didn't resolve the issue...

> or
> linux-alsa-driver-modules-$(uname -r) from ppa:ubuntu-audio-dev.

But this did.

Given that this was the solution in Karmic too, I'm wondering why, whatever
installing this packages fixes, didn't make it into Lucid.  It's frustrating
to have to have to piece together a working distribution from various places,
release after release.  But I digress.

> Note:
> they're exclusive.

Indeed, and handled nicely (i.e. properly) by the packages' metadata.  Very
nicely done.

b.