[pulseaudio-discuss] More on the native protocol complexity

Marco Ballesio gibrovacco at gmail.com
Fri May 14 23:10:56 PDT 2010

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 12:21 PM, Rafal Wojtczuk <
rafal at invisiblethingslab.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 09, 2010 at 09:24:27AM +0300, Marco Ballesio wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 6:10 PM, Rafal Wojtczuk <
> rafal at invisiblethingslab.com> wrote:
> > > Again, can I have a simple sound sharing over network protocol, pretty
> > > pretty please ? Raw audio frames + simple synchronization, anyone ?
> > stupid question, but.. is GStreamer out of your scope here?
> Could you be more specific, and suggest the appropriate gst-launch
> pipelines ?
> Particularly, over what protocol can we stream the data ?
> I tried the following on the client
> gst-launch pulsesrc ! tcpclientsink host=xxx port=12345
> protocol=GST_TCP_PROTOCOL_GDP
>
> and on the server
> gst-launch tcpserversrc port=12345 host=xxx protocol=GST_TCP_PROTOCOL_GDP !
> pulsesink

pretty simple but should work quite reliably in a simple network. If you
want something more standard but with an higher error probability (e.g. rtp)
you should actually check on:

http://www.gstreamer.net/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gst-plugins-good-plugins/html/gst-plugins-good-plugins-gstrtpbin.html

you'll find there some nice examples.

> it works nicely. But with this approach, when there is no audio activity on
> the client,
> gst-launch transmits silence (and noticeably burns CPU). BTW, the parec
> solution from
> https://tango.0pointer.de/pipermail/pulseaudio-discuss/2010-May/007107.html
> has the same problem; module-pipe-sink behaves better.

there are some discussions ongoing about implementing VAD in GStreamer  but
nothing done so far. You should implement your own stream suspend/resume
logic if you want to save bandwidth and CPU.

Regards