[pulseaudio-discuss] Not only autospawning, but all PA daemon startup of any kind appears impossible with PA trunk

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun May 16 11:48:59 PDT 2010

'Twas brillig, and Tanu Kaskinen at 16/05/10 13:11 did gyre and gimble:
> If I got the wrong impression and you were aware of this already, then
> I'd like to hear about concrete situations where it does make sense to
> configure the server address in client.conf and still use the --start
> switch for launcing a per-user daemon, or using the --start switch for
> launcing a per-user daemon in an environment where the PULSE_SERVER
> variable is set.

I've not had time to think about this thread/issue fully, but one
example that may be a problem is when the X11 root window properties are
set and we try to restart PA.

This could happen I think if PA is started via start-pulseaudio-x11 but
then crashes without shutting down nicely which I *think* leaves behind
the X11 properties.

If I'm right, this is one situation that you definitely do want PA to
autospawn itself again.

I'll try and comment more fully soon and actually test things etc. :p

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]