[pulseaudio-discuss] Help with Udev Please

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed May 19 01:04:38 PDT 2010

'Twas brillig, and Jim Duda at 19/05/10 01:45 did gyre and gimble:
> On 05/18/2010 07:50 PM, David Henningsson wrote:
>
>> Looks like a syntax error in one of the udev rules.
>> Perhaps you can see if the message shows up in /var/log/syslog and then
>> grep for that string in the udev rules directory?
>>
>> // David
>
> Unfortunately, I don't get any udev message in syslog.
>
> I have 2 machines up on fc12.  Udev appears to work on one, but not the other.
>
> The /etc/udev/rules.d/90-alsa.rules file is identical on both.
>
> jim>  cat 90-alsa.rules
> ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="sound", KERNEL=="controlC*", \
>    RUN+="/sbin/alsactl -E ALSA_CONFIG_PATH=/etc/alsa/alsactl.conf --initfile=/lib/alsa/init/00main restore /dev/$name"
> ACTION=="remove", SUBSYSTEM=="sound", KERNEL=="controlC*", \
>    RUN+="/sbin/alsactl -E ALSA_CONFIG_PATH=/etc/alsa/alsactl.conf store /dev/$name"
>
> On the machine which works, I'm using the stock kernel from fc12.
>
> On the machine which doesn't work, I have to use my own kernel build.
> Both kernels are of the 2.6.32 (one is .11 the other .13)
> All of the sysfs stuff for both kernels are the same.

Please also check:

/lib/udev/rules.d/78-sound-card.rules

(that file may be in /etc rather than /lib, but not sure about Fedora
pkging)

Also as this is an upgrade, I'd recommend checking that you don't have
any orphaned files still installed that were not automatically removed.
You can use a yum utility to find orphaned packages but I forget the
syntax off-hand. I'm sure a quick search will find the necessary info.

Then you could veryify each rule in /etc/udev/rules.d and
/lib/udev/rules.d via rpm -qf and rpm -V commands.

That way you can likely nail down where the problem lies with the udev
config.

That may or may not actually help in the case of the PA stuff. It could
still be the kernel that is causing you problems.

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]