[pulseaudio-discuss] [RFC] disabling monitor source patch

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Thu Nov 4 02:14:45 PDT 2010

On 2010-11-03 10:35, pl bossart wrote:
> Hi,
> As part of the passthrough/compressed data support in PulseAudio, we
> need to disable monitoring. The main use of monitoring is to build
> peakmeters to show volume information, and that just doesn't make
> sense for compressed raw data....

I have also been using it several times to record things as streaming
music, skype conversations etc. So I would say that the peak meters are
not the only main usage of monitoring.

Also, we always have a sink and a source, because of module-auto-sink
that adds a null sink (and a monitor of that) if no sinks exists. If we
end up having no sources at all, would that open up a can of worms?

I would say to go with keeping the monitoring source - either decode it,
leave the raw data as it is, or write zeroes, whatever we conclude is
the best way to go.

// David