[pulseaudio-discuss] Avoiding 2ch upmixing to all speakers

Dom H speedsix.lists at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 4 15:47:26 PDT 2010

I have a 4.1 system and pulse does a good job of mixing the missing
centre into the fronts for 5.1 audio tracks, I'm recently switched
from a digital out system with my external receiver doing all the
decoding and mixing, to my HTPC doing the job and outputting analogue
to my amp. I'm trying to get pulse to mimic the exact behaviour of my
external decoder, have a few questions though;

1. Can I stop 2ch audio being mixed to all 4 speakers but retain the
centre mixing into the mains for 5.1 tracks?

2. Can I increase the volume of the centre that is being mixed into
the mains, it's a dB or so too low?

3. When LFE mixing is enabled, does it route bass frequencies into the
subwoofer channel even when there is a discrete LFE track?

Have the pulse devs considered replicating how most hardware decoders
handling speaker configuration? As an example, on my Denon receiver,
each speaker can be configured as Large, Small or None. Large speakers
receive regular full range output, small speakers have their low
frequency mixed to the subwoofer output and output sent to a 'None'
speaker is mixed elsewhere (eg centre into fronts) Seems like quite an
elegant solution, would certainly solve all the issues I'm seeing
listed above.

Thanks