[pulseaudio-discuss] Choose remote default sink from commandline?

Dave DaveM at Mich.Com
Sun Nov 7 18:21:38 PST 2010

At 01:56 PM 11/7/2010, you wrote:
>'Twas brillig, and Dave at 07/11/10 14:48 did gyre and gimble:
> > I use the Pulseaudio Device Chooser to set the default sink (on a
> > laptop) to a remote server. This works fine. When i reboot my laptop,
> > the default sink reverts back to "default" (the laptop sound card).
> >
> > Is there a way to get the laptop to continue to use the remote server
> > after a reboot? Is there a command that I can run in a script on
> > startup to change the default sink back to the remote server?
> >
> > I am running Ubuntu 9.04 on this machine.
>
>padevchooser doesn't work in the nicest way possible. We've been openly
>telling people it's deprecated for some years now!
>
>Anyway, you can do something like: "export PULSE_SERVER=remotemachine"
>in your .bashrc file.
>
>This will bypass your local PA completely on any ever use a remote server.
>
>That said, as you are using a laptop this is not likely the best
>approach. Better to use tunnels (with avahi for auto detection) as when
>you resume your laptop from suspend when away from your "home network"
>then you'll still have working sound. Basically just tick all the
>relevant boxes in paprefs and things work by themselves. Make sure you
>set up both sides tho'.
>
>Col

Thank you for your help. What is the syntax used to specify
"remotemachine"? I tried using the name as shown in padevchooser
(export PULSE_SERVER=davem at ubuntu-DGTM). That did not work.

I tried using tunnels and have the same problem. I can not find
documentation showing what syntax I will use to format the command. I
tried many variations on the following with no luck:

$ pacmd set-default-sink
tunnel.davem at ubuntu-DGTM.local,alsa_output.pci_8086_293e_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0

$ pacmd set-default-sink
tunnel.ubuntu-DGTM.local,alsa_output.pci_8086_293e_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0

$ pacmd set-default-sink
tunnel.ubuntu-DGTM,alsa_output.pci_8086_293e_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0

$ pacmd set-default-sink tunnel.davem at ubuntu-DGTM.local

So if you can give me some feedback or point me to some examples,
that would be very helpful.