[pulseaudio-discuss] Choose remote default sink fromcommandline?

Dave DaveM at Mich.Com
Fri Nov 12 07:33:32 PST 2010

At 11:50 AM 11/9/2010, you wrote:

> > >This is the only form you need. I presume you logged out and back in
> > >again after setting this env var?
> > >
> > >Try this on the command line and post the results:
> > >
> > >export PULSE_SERVER=192.168.1.64
> > >export PULSE_LOG=99
> > >paplay -vvv /usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav
> >
> > jmrt at ubuntu-JMRT:~$ export PULSE_SERVER=192.168.64
> > jmrt at ubuntu-JMRT:~$ export PULSE_LOG=99
> > jmrt at ubuntu-JMRT:~$ paplay /usr/share/sounds/purple/logout.wav
> > D: memblock.c: Using shared memory pool with 1024 slots of size 64.0
> > KiB each, total size is 64.0 MiB, maximum usable slot size is 65472
> > D: context.c: Trying to connect to 192.168.64...
> > Connection failure: Connection refused
> > jmrt at ubuntu-JMRT:~$
> > - No sound was played
>
>Regarding the question of where to put the environment variable export
>so that it's set for the whole session and not just terminal - I don't
>think there's any standard place that will work everywhere. It's
>possible to configure the system to have some environment variables
>always set, but I don't know how it can be done specifically for your
>system (I have done it in the past on my own system, but I don't
>remember the specifics of that either).
>
>But if you want to set the server address
>globally, /etc/pulse/client.conf or ~/.pulse/client.conf is much better
>place for configuring that than setting environment variables in some
>obscure start-up script.

- I tried setting the server address in the following
   places and none worked when i launch applications
   from gnome:

~/.bashrc
/etc/pulse/client.conf
~/.pulse/client.conf
/usr/bin/start-pulseaudio-x11

- I also tried un-commenting the following lines in client.conf and
that did not work either.

; default-sink = davem at ubuntu-DGTM: HDA Intel - ALC888 Analog
; default-server = davem at ubuntu-DGTM

>Also, as Colin pointed out earlier, tunnels might make more sense than
>connecting directly to the remote server. ..... the command for loading
>a tunnel sink is basically the following:
>
>pactl load-module module-tunnel-sink server=192.168.1.64
>sink=<remote sink name> sink_name=mytunnel

- I tried the following command:

jmrt at ubuntu-JMRT:~$ pactl load-module module-tunnel-sink
server=192.168.1.64
sink=alsa_output.pci_8086_293e_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0 sink_name=sink-DGTM

15

- It returns '15' which I assume is an error but I could not find out
what it means.

>That creates a new local sink with name "mytunnel". When directing
>applications to that sink the audio will be forwarded to <remote sink
>name> (you'll have to figure out the remote sink name before loading the
>tunnel sink module) at 192.168.1.64.
>
>I don't remember whether the module arguments had to be put within
>quotes, so try this if the first command doesn't work:
>
>pactl load-module module-tunnel-sink "server=192.168.1.64
>sink=<remote sink name> sink_name=mytunnel"

- I also tried it is quotes. This did not work either. Still returns '15'

jmrt at ubuntu-JMRT:~$ pactl load-module module-tunnel-sink
"server=192.168.1.64
sink=alsa_output.pci_8086_293e_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0
sink_name=sink-DGTM"

15

- Dave