[pulseaudio-discuss] Choose remote default sink fromcommandline?

Dave DaveM at Mich.Com
Sat Nov 13 16:48:09 PST 2010

At 09:55 PM 11/12/2010, you wrote:
>At 10:33 AM 11/12/2010, you wrote:

>>>Regarding the question of where to put the environment variable export
>>>so that it's set for the whole session and not just terminal - I don't
>>>think there's any standard place that will work everywhere.
>>- I tried setting the server address in the following
>>   places and none worked when i launch applications
>>   from gnome:
>>
>>~/.bashrc
>>/etc/pulse/client.conf
>>~/.pulse/client.conf
>>/usr/bin/start-pulseaudio-x11
>>

>>>Also, as Colin pointed out earlier, tunnels might make more sense than
>>>connecting directly to the remote server. ..... the command for loading
>>>a tunnel sink is basically the following:
>>
>>- I tried the following command:
>>
>>jmrt at ubuntu-JMRT:~$ pactl load-module module-tunnel-sink
>>server=192.168.1.64
>>sink=alsa_output.pci_8086_293e_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0 sink_name=sink-DGTM
>>
>>15
>
>I am trying this on another system (I dont have access to
>jmrt at ubuntu-JMRT this evening).
>
>davem at davem-eee901:~$ pactl load-module module-tunnel-sink
>server=192.168.1.64
>sink=alsa_output.pci_8086_293e_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0 sink_name=sink-DGTM
>
>21
>
>- So it looks like it is creating the tunnel to the server.
>- How do I set this tunnel as the default sink (so apps launched
>from gnome will use it)?
>
>- Dave

- One step forward and one step back. Looks like there is a problem
creating the tunnel with the version of pulse used in the ubuntu 9.04
distribution. If I do the following on ubuntu 10.04 it works:

#
# Create a tunnel to the remote sound card
pactl load-module module-tunnel-sink "server=192.168.1.64
sink=alsa_output.pci_8086_293e_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0
sink_name=sink-DGTM"
#
# Make it the default sink
pacmd set-default-sink sink-DGTM
#

- Unfortunately this does not work on ubuntu 9.04. The syslog shows:

Nov 13 14:45:33 ubuntu-JMRT pulseaudio[3473]: module-tunnel.c: Stream died.

- In case someone is interested in seeing what happened when I tried
this in 9.04, I have attached the complete terminal session as a text file.

- So I am going to assume that there is a bug in this version.
Although it does work with padevchooser, I can not get it to work
from the command line. I also tried adding the following
to  /etc/pulse/default.pa and got the same results:

### Make some devices default
#set-default-sink output
load-module module-tunnel-sink server=192.168.1.64
sink=alsa_output.pci_8086_293e_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0 sink_name=sink-DGTM
set-default-sink sink-DGTM
#set-default-source input

- syslog:
Nov 13 14:45:33 ubuntu-JMRT pulseaudio[3473]: module-tunnel.c: Stream died.

- So, unless someone has a better suggestion, I am back to trying to
figure out where to export PULSE_SERVER so that apps launched from
gnome see it when I reboot. Any pulse/ubuntu guru's out there? :)

- Dave