[pulseaudio-discuss] dynamically changing alsa sink/source sampling rate

pl bossart bossart.nospam at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 18:50:51 PST 2010

> I wont say it will never be supported (if someone writes a well formed
> patch that doesn't introduce any significant complications/overhead then
> I can't see any problems with merging it), but I doubt any of the main
> developers or companies supporting PA will want to do this any time soon
> (although I could of course be wrong here).

It's on my radar, this is a change that is required for compressed
data support, and while we are at it we could modify the behavior for
PCM as well. Jyri seemed in favor of this as well on the Nokia side.
What I had in mind is that changes in sampling rates would be allowed
only if a sink/source is inactive and the actual hw device closed, and
only if the application has a role where such a change makes sense.
That would enable low-power use cases without requiring resampling.
-Pierre