[pulseaudio-discuss] Problem with sound level in mplayer

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Nov 17 03:31:28 PST 2010

'Twas brillig, and Alexander Tanyukevich at 17/11/10 10:36 did gyre and
gimble:
> I am happy user of pulseaudio except one thing.
> When I am running mplayer it changes sound level to max, and I need to
> change it every time. It a bit annoying when running mplayer *mp3
> because I need to change it on every song.

As Tomasz said, it's an mplayer bug. I've been carrying that patch in my
packages for years now... wish it would go upstream :(

> I dont use pavucontrol and padevchooser, because of GTK (my religion
> doesn't accept it).

Sadly, with current KDE, pavucontrol is still the only option. As of KDE
trunk, I've implemented all the necessary stuff to do everything that
pavucontrol does in kmix and system settings, so you should eventually
be able to be GTK free.

I hope your Phonon, KMix and System Settings setup now looks and works
correctly as outlined here: http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/KDE

That said, I really don't care for such religions. I like Free in all
it's guises and openly sit on the fence. I do more development for KDE
than I do on GTK as I prefer that coding experience, but I still very
much use a combination of Gnome and KDE to best suite my needs. But one
of the joys of the freedom we get is that everyone can pick and choose
to suit their own tastes and I fully respect your rights to do so :)

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]