[pulseaudio-discuss] Crackling noise when switching between two sink modules

Kim Therkelsen kim_t26 at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 7 04:57:16 PDT 2010

Hi,

I am running pulseaudio 0.9.19 (build from git://git.0pointer.de/pulseaudio.git) and experiencing some problems. When i switch back and forth between two sinks i sometimes get crackling noises. Especially if i switch back and forth fast a lot of times in a row. I use pavucontrol to do the switching at the "playback" tab.
The sinks i am switching back and forth between are the default "Internal Audio Analog Stereo" and module-ladspa-sink. The loaded LADSPA module is filter.so (example from LADSPA SDK package) but I have tried with other plugins as well.

I am experiencing this problem on an Acer Aspire One D250 PC running Meego V1.0. The problem does not seem to occur on a Ubuntu PC I have.
I think the problem occurs because pulseaudio does not do the sink switching fast enough so the soundcard audio buffer might not be filled fast enough when switching but it is just a guess. How do I make the buffer sizes used bigger or perhaps change tread priorities to solve this problem?

Or perhaps the problem is caused by something else?

/Kim