[pulseaudio-discuss] udev detection for 1 card with multiple devices

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Tue Oct 12 08:02:42 PDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-10-12 at 08:36 +0100, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and abraham duenas at 11/10/10 20:40 did gyre and gimble:
> > Hi and thanks for your feedback!
> >
> > I'm in the creation of my profile, I have a basic one on which I'm
> > experimenting and what I did to add the multiple hw device is to hard
> > code them like this:
> > [Mapping X]
> > device-strings = hw:0,3
> > [Mapping Y]
> > device-strings = hw:0,2
> >
> > etc... these seems to work for me but not sure if this is the proper (or
> > most effective way).
>
> I think that's the best way, but not 100% sure. There is the whole rule
> of "don't use "hw:" directly but I think when writing your own profile
> it's acceptable. I'm afraid I've not got a huge amount of experience
> with this side of things tho' :(

Unless I'm missing or forgetting something, the only problem with the
"hw:" devices is that their semantics aren't standardized at all - the
device strings means different things on different cards. So, if you're
defining a completely custom profile configuration (as opposed to
extending the default), then using "hw:" should be fine, because you
know how "hw:" behaves.

One thing to fix is the card number, though. The card may sometimes have
some other index than zero, so use "%f" in place of the card number,
e.g. "hw:%f,3" - it will be replaced by the actual card index at
runtime.

--
Tanu Kaskinen