[pulseaudio-discuss] pax11publish -e -S

Matt Zagrabelny mzagrabe at d.umn.edu
Sun Oct 24 03:53:27 PDT 2010

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 1:08 AM, Tanu Kaskinen <tanuk at iki.fi> wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-10-23 at 21:49 -0500, Matt Zagrabelny wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I am having an issue regarding pax11publish. I followed a tcp howto
>> for PA from the following site:
>> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio
>>
>> and am looking to have my localhost be the default PA server in my
>> audio environment with the option to route audio through the speakers
>> attached a computer called, zombie, on my network.
>>
>> If I set a server up in /etc/pulse/client.conf like so:
>>
>> default-server = zombie  (zombie is the name of my system)
>>
>> and use pax11publish to toggle between the two systems, localhost and zombie:
>>
>> pax11publish -e -r  (set audio to zombie)
>> pax11publish -e -S localhost (set audio to localhost)
>>
>> Things work as expected.
>>
>> However, if I comment out the default-server line in the config file:
>>
>> ; default-server =
>>
>> and use the following pax11publish command:
>>
>> pax11publish -e -S zombie (set audio to zombie - DOESN'T WORK)
>>
>> it doesn't work to route audio to zombie.
>>
>> I have all the cookie magic and networking stuff working correctly (or
>> so it seems from my first working example, above, I gave.)
>>
>> Is pax11publish not supposed to work this way?
>
> AFAIK pax11publish is supposed to work that way. The only user error I
> can see is "pax11publish -e -r", which doesn't make too much sense - the
> "-e" and "-r" switches are conceptually mutually exclusive, but the
> option parser implementation just overwrites the EXPORT mode with the
> REMOVE mode when "-r" is encountered after "-e", which happens to do
> what you want.
>
> Does "xprop -root | grep PULSE_SERVER" print PULSE_SERVER(STRING) =
> "foo" after you have run "pax11publish -e -S zombie"?

Yes, it does print, PULSE_SERVER(STRING) = "zombie".

 If yes,
> then the problem is probably in the libpulse code that decides where to
> connect. If that's the case, what happens if you run "paplay
> some-wav-file"? Does that connect to the local server, or does it fail
> completely?

Fails completely.

 Does it print error messages?

paplay /usr/share/tuxtype/sounds/splat.wav
Connection failure: Access denied

xine, configured to use PA though, fails back to local sound.

The fix, of course, is to tell PA where to get the cookie to use that server:

pax11publish -e -c /etc/pulse/.pulse-cookie-zombie -S zombie

Thanks for the help, Tanu.

FWIW, here are the commands I plan to use to attach to a (panel)
launcher to make it easier to toggle between sound servers:

REMOTE:
ssh zombie 'cat /var/run/pulse/.pulse-cookie' | sudo sh -c 'cat >
/etc/pulse/.pulse-cookie-zombie' && sudo chown pulse:pulse-access
/etc/pulse/.pulse-cookie-zombie && sudo chmod 640
/etc/pulse/.pulse-cookie-zombie && pax11publish -e -c
/etc/pulse/.pulse-cookie-zombie -S zombie

and

LOCAL:
pax11publish -r

-matt