[pulseaudio-discuss] protecting settings

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Sep 5 08:41:04 PDT 2010

'Twas brillig, and Sean McNamara at 05/09/10 16:18 did gyre and gimble:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 2:33 AM, John Owen-Jones <ajowenjones at gmail.com> wrote:
>> let me give you my situation,
>> I have an aspire one netbook and the internal mic is stereo but the 2
>> channels are combined 180 degrees out of phase so if left and right channels
>> are set to similar levels there is no sound recorded.
>>
>> The solution is to open pulse audio volume control and set one channel to
>> zero and the other to an appropriate level.
>>
>> A well behaved program such as skype has the option to adjust audio settings
>> automatically or not. (naturally not is appropriate)
>> google voice and video plugin doesn't have this option and sets both audio
>> input channels to the same level resulting in silence.
>> As a consequence the input settings for skype have also been lost.
>>
>> It seems wrong that 2 user level programs should be interacting like this ,
>> it appears that the audio input settings are set for the system not for the
>> application or the user.
>>
>> There are a number of possible ways to tackle this problem
>> rewrite applications to play nice but one rogue application wrecks that
>> plan.
>> allow input settings to be set per application - better but perhaps over
>> engineered/
>
> Per-app volume control is a feature that has been supported in
> pulseaudio for a while now. It's not over-engineered; it's a very
> useful feature!

See the replies that have already been sent on this (duplicate) thread.

Per-app volume control only works for *playback*, not recording. We need
to make it work for both now that flat-volumes are used.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]