[pulseaudio-discuss] echocnzelation and feedback killer

Alexey Fisher bug-track at fisher-privat.net
Mon Sep 13 00:54:02 PDT 2010

Am Montag, den 13.09.2010, 12:22 +0530 schrieb Arun Raghavan:
> On Sat, 2010-09-11 at 17:49 +0200, Alexey Fisher wrote:
> > Hallo all,
> > i see in git you working on echo cancelation. Will it work for audio
> > feedback/"Larsen effect" too? I mean sort of feedback killer?
>
> It will not. The echo cancellation module is meant for things like voip
> calls. For example, if you're using speakers and a mic, whatever the
> other end says goes back through the mic, and they will be hear
> themselves after a short gap. That's the echo we're trying to cancel.
>
> So the goal is for the *far end* to not hear echo. It will not make a
> difference locally.

Audio feedback is exactly problem of VOIP. Mic monitor is turned off by
default, locally y'll not get it . If you use empathy (not skype) for
audio chat, without headset (on both sites) you will get high-pitched
squealing noise. Skype kill it normally by autosetting the record level.
But i think you probably answered on my question. Theoretically it
should cancel it too, i need just test it :D