[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio-0.9.21, alsa-1.0.23, kde-4.4.5, consolekit, dbus

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Sep 13 01:28:22 PDT 2010

'Twas brillig, and sibu xolo at 13/09/10 02:04 did gyre and gimble:
> a) I am using system5 init and alsamixer refuses to start on the CLI at run-
> level 3 reporting
> "pulseaaudio' connection refused  (or somesuch)  but...

I guess PA cannot start on the CLI for some reason. alsamixer or aplay
should autospawn PA if it's not running (which would be typical with a
console login).

I suspect not being able to connect to dbus/consolekit is the problem,
but to find out, run pulseaudio -vvv from the cli rather than aplay and
it should tell you the reasons for not starting.

> b) alsamixer starts after  login in kde in konsole; sound devices are
> correctly reported (on the cli);  aplay reports no errors but no sound is
> heard  and outputs are not mute.

Check the profiles in pavucontrol's configuration tab. Post the output
from "pacmd ls" to allow others to have a look at the setup.

> b) Still in kde, When the ownership/permissions on  /usr/lib/dbus-1.0/dbus-
> daemon-launch-helper
>  file are set as shown above   the KDE System Settings/Multimedia dialog
> reports a dummy device

$ ll /lib64/dbus-1/dbus-daemon-launch-helper
-rwsr-x--- 1 root messagebus 47384 2010-03-24 09:46
/lib64/dbus-1/dbus-daemon-launch-helper

Same perms here... I'm not sure why dbus failure would results in a
dummy device. I wonder if it's simply that PA cannot reserve the audio
device via the dbus based device reservation protocol and thus can't
load the sink.

Even still dbus based activation seems to work for me :s

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]