[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio-0.9.21, alsa-1.0.23, kde-4.4.5, consolekit, dbus

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Sep 13 03:59:14 PDT 2010

'Twas brillig, and sibu xolo at 13/09/10 11:10 did gyre and gimble:
> On Monday 13 September 2010 09:28:22 Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> 'Twas brillig, and sibu xolo at 13/09/10 02:04 did gyre and gimble:
>>> a) I am using system5 init and alsamixer refuses to start on the CLI at
>>> run- level 3 reporting
>>> "pulseaaudio' connection refused  (or somesuch)  but...
>>
>> I guess PA cannot start on the CLI for some reason. alsamixer or aplay
>> should autospawn PA if it's not running (which would be typical with a
>> console login).
>>
>> I suspect not being able to connect to dbus/consolekit is the problem,
>> but to find out, run pulseaudio -vvv from the cli rather than aplay and
>> it should tell you the reasons for not starting.
>
> ######## here is the ooutput from running pulseaudio -vvv on the cli  BEFORE
> kde starts

OK, you've got two problems here:

> D: cli-command.c: Checking for existance of
> '/opt/lib/pulse-0.9.21/modules/module-udev-detect.so': success
> I: module-udev-detect.c: Found 0 cards.
> I: module.c: Loaded "module-udev-detect" (index: #4; argument: "").

For whatever reason, udev detection has failed and is finding no cards.

This means an "Auto Null" sink will be loaded rather than accessing your
real h/w.

> E: x11wrap.c: XOpenDisplay() failed
> E: module.c: Failed to load  module "module-x11-bell" (argument: "sample=bell-
> windowing-system"): initialization failed.
> E: main.c: Module load failed.
> E: main.c: Failed to initialize daemon.

This is interesting. The directive for loading module-x11-bell was
removed from default.pa a *long* time ago, but apparently your
default.pa is still trying to load it.

But as your default.pa tries to load module-udev-detect, which was added
*after* module-x11-bell was removed, it suggests you have edited the
default.pa we ship with your own version.

If you want the x11-bell module to be loaded, you should really add it
to the /usr/bin/start-pulseaudio-x11 script instead.

You can also put the load-module line in default.pa inside a ".nofail"
".fail" block. This will mean it will not cause daemon startup to fail,
but it obviously will not actually load the module when X11 login
actually occurs. That's why putting it in start-pulseaudio-x11 is better.

> ######## here is the ooutput from running "pacmd  ls" on the cli  AFTER kde
> starts
>
> 1 sink(s) available.
>   * index: 0
> 	name: <auto_null>
> 	driver: <module-null-sink.c>
> 	flags: DECIBEL_VOLUME LATENCY FLAT_VOLUME DYNAMIC_LATENCY
> 	state: SUSPENDED
> 	suspend cause: IDLE
> 	priority: 1000
> 	volume: 0:  60% 1:  60%
> 	        0: -13.31 dB 1: -13.31 dB
> 	        balance 0.00
> 	base volume: 100%
> 	             0.00 dB
> 	volume steps: 65537
> 	muted: no
> 	current latency: 0.00 ms
> 	max request: 1722 KiB
> 	max rewind: 1722 KiB
> 	monitor source: 0
> 	sample spec: s16le 2ch 44100Hz
> 	channel map: front-left,front-right
> 	             Stereo
> 	used by: 0
> 	linked by: 0
> 	configured latency: 0.00 ms; range is 0.50 .. 10000.00 ms
> 	module: 10
> 	properties:
> 		device.description = "Dummy Output"
> 		device.class = "abstract"
> 		device.icon_name = "audio-card"

Here is the ultimately issue. The Dummy Output. As udev-detect could not
detect any cards, you get only the dummy output.

I'm not sure why udev-detect would cause problems. I would suggest to
double check your udev setup and make sure the relevant udev rules are
present on your system. udev 147 is pretty old, perhaps a newer version
is needed (I can't remember the minimum system requirements), but certainly:
/lib/udev/rules.d/78-sound-card.rules

Should be present and should control things in this regard.

I'd certainly double check that ACLs are written properly on the
/dev/snd/* nodes (getfacl /dev/snd/*) and that your user session is
definitely listed in ck-list-sessions as being active.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]