[pulseaudio-discuss] How to save mixer settings?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Sep 21 01:16:07 PDT 2010

'Twas brillig, and Frode Severin Hatlevik at 20/09/10 20:59 did gyre and
gimble:
> 2010/9/20 Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie>:
>> 'Twas brillig, and Frode Severin Hatlevik at 18/09/10 22:14 did gyre and
>> gimble:
>>> What happens is this:
>>> After KDE loads the desktop, all the mixer levels seem to be reset to
>>> factory default levels, which are not appropriate. The worst part is
>>> that the mic in the 'Playback' category is unmuted and at a high
>>> level, and hence constantly feeds all the nearby sound to the
>>> speakers. If I turn the master volume up I easily get a feedback.
>>
>> In older version of kmix, it had the option to "restore mixer settings".
>> I suggest you turn this option off.
>>

> I did so, for all users, and hopefully this fixes the issue.

Fingers crossed.

> Now I have a separate problem with kmix, seemingly.
> If I use 'alsamixer -c0' in a terminal to monitor what kmix is
> actually doing to my soundcard when raising and lowering the volume, I
> notice that the 'Master' control slider sets PCM to 100 or 98 when I
> raise the volume. If I lower the volume to 0, the PCM volume is also
> set to 0. Sometimes when I rise it again, the 'Front' channel is also
> set to 100.
>
> Is there a way for me to link the kmix 'master' volume to only
> manipulate the master volume of my hda_intel soundcard?

This page explains it all.

http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/PulseAudioStoleMyVolumes

If you have problems with the system, it's really better to discuss them
and try and find solutions for any bugs they present rather than just
disabling it.

If you genuinely don't like it, then disabling is perfectly acceptable!

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]